• Admin


Updated: Apr 14

Round 4 of the TFL saw all 3 of the Football Chinchilla teams playing at the Captain Cook fields against Rockville. While the Honeybears struggled against the Rovers, both the Grizzlie and Bears were successful in defeating their opponents.

The Honeybears were slow to start in their match against the Rockville's Rovers.

From the kick-off, Rockville took possession and immediately began to press to find Chinchilla's weakness. It took only 14 minutes for their offensive to break through and score the first point of the match, and they were quick to follow up with a second 2 minutes later.

From here the match seemed to even out with the Chinchilla midfield of Sally Carroll, Kim Priem, and Danica Milosevic starting to take more control, put together nice periods of possession, and leading to a one-on-one opportunity for Carroll in the middle of the half. Unfortunately, the Rover's keeper was able to stop the shot.

Only moments later Priem found herself on the edge of the box with space and sent off a shot that had the keeper beat, but ricocheted off the crossbar back in the field.

For every attack Chinchilla put together, Rockville was quick to counter, pressuring centre-backs Claire Valler and Kayla Hungerford, and Keeper Georgia Sloss.

Rovers were able to find the back of the net another two times, takes a strong 4 - 0 lead into halftime.

The beginning of the second half started off less than ideal for Chinchilla ladies, as a distracted start and combination of errors allowed Rockville to score only 2 minutes in.

From here the game settled, although Rockville continued to have the majority of possession.

Chinchilla got a consolation goal in the 63rd minute when Emma Mosley spotted Nikola Stevenson in the clear. Stevenson's left foot shot, from the top left corner of the 18-yard box, arced over the keeper before dropping into the net.

Rockville was able to score one more goal before the final whistle with the end result 6 -1.

Honeybears Coach Dennis Carroll said that he was happy to see continual improvement from all players, but conceded that there was plenty to work on.

Federico Weimann got the Grizzlies off to a great start in the Conference match against Rockville, finding the back of the net after only 3 minutes.

The Rovers were not happy to concede so early and spent the remainder of the second half attempting to batter their way through the Chinchilla contingent.

Chinchilla's backline of Ross Cardillo, Liam Turnbull, Francisco Pulido Olano, and Juan Igancio put in a fine performance slowing down the attack, although Grizzlies keeper Tim Taylor still had plenty of work to do, producing a number of dynamic saves to keep the Rovers off the score sheet.

The second half restart saw the the momentuem continue in the Grizzlies favour, with Cameron Cardillo rocketing in a left-foot shot on the edge of the 18 just 2 minutes in.

The addition of Sofiane Tchebboukh, by Chinchilla coach Stewart Hope, midway through the half created a massive injection of speed to the Grizzlies attack, and soon Tchebboukh was able to slip through the backline to beat the keeper in the 64th minute, taking the Grizzlies lead to 3 nil.

As frustration rose within the Rockville ranks their challenges started to deteriorate and this resulted in some heavy challenges between both teams.

At the 73rd minute mark, a particularly unsettling tackling on C. Cardillo resulted in R. Cardillo receiving a caution and spending 10 minutes in the sin bin for discussions with the referee. Rockville seemed desperate to press their extra player advantage but the Grizzlies worked hard to hold them out until R. Cardillo could rejoin.

The 3 - 0 win is a fantastic boost to the Grizzlies campaign, jumping them up into 3rd.

Not to be outdone by the Grizzlies the Championship Division Bears took only 19 seconds to score against Rockville Rovers Blue in their match. Joe Woods receiving a niffy pass back from Brad Thompson to give the Chinchilla boys an early lead.

Quick passages of passing, and dynamic off the ball movement, had Rockville scrambling and conceding their first free-kick 5 minutes in. The Bear's seemed to have missed the opportunity to capilatise off the set play, when the ball popped out to Thompson who was clinical in driving it into the goal.

Rockville continued to try to mix it at the Bear's level but just weren't up to the task, accruing yellow cards in the 21st, 31st, and 33rd minute off the match.

Bear's midfielder Facundo Villanueva was also cautioned in the 38th minute.

The second half of the match was just a high paced as the first, Nick Guymer, George Freeman, and Benny Michaelis with on-target shots only to be denied by the woodwork or goalkeeper. A slew of goals and cards were also in store for the half.

Woods scored again in the 65th minute, quickly followed by Thompson for his second in the 68th. Tim Taylor and a Rockville player picked up cautions before Thompson rounded out his hat trick with a text book header. Michaelis also found himself in the book with a yellow for a loose tackle.

The game seemed set to finish 5 - 0 to the Bears when in the 89th minute, a final scramble near the baseline, resulted in a Rockville goal from a player who many watching would have argued was offside.

The win was a dominant display by the Bears, the hat trick promoting Thompson to the top of the division's Golden Boot leaderboard and elevating the Bears to first place on the Championship ladder.


Recent Posts

See All