• Admin

WIN! WIN! WIN! Bears clean sweep!

The Grizzlies once again had a shaky start to their Round 2 match when after only 2 minutes a defensive error caught keeper Coby Calleja well off his line, the Wanderers’ forward not hesitating to get his team on the board. Not long after Calleja had a chance for redemption with a penalty shot from the dot. The Wanderers player stepped up to the mark and drove a solid attempt to the left, but Calleja easily made the save.

Chinchilla knuckled down after this and started to put together some solid possession allowing Jayden Preston to slot in his second goal of the season at the 10-minute mark. However, Wanderers were quick to strike back, scoring again 5 minutes later.

From this point the quality of play broke down a little for both teams, Wanderers in desperation to hold onto their 2-1 lead and Chinchilla determined to bring the score back level. A number of late, sloppy, and aggressive tackles led to a Wanderer's caution in the 27th minute before Chinchilla brought the score back to level through Pete Swales, who produced what could well be his goal of the season.

The end of the first half and the majority of the second involved a lot of back and forth, with neither team able to gain the upper hand. It seemed the match was destined to finish as a 2 all draw until, in the final minute of play, Ross Cardillo again proved his class, with a fabulous finish from a set play to secure the win 3-2 for the Grizzlies.

The Honeybears got off to a solid start in their match against Wanderer with the midfield combination of Kim Priem, Danica Milosevic, and Sally Carroll working well to shut down any opposition possession and create opportunities both down the centre and wings. It wasn’t long before Chinchilla had pressure on the keeper and in the 10th minute, Carroll was on the board with a lovely strike.

Continuing to dominate the possession the Honeys created a number of exciting scoring opportunities, but none found their way to the back of the net. The score remained one-nil until the 42nd minute when a precision pass from Milosevic put Carroll through 1 on 1 with the keeper. Carroll was all class as she skipped around the keeper and finessed her shot into the goal, taking the lead to 2-0 at halftime.

Chinchilla came out strong again in the second half, hungry for more goals. A number of opportunities were presented but were denied by good goalkeeping.

In the 63rd minute, a pass from Nikola Stevenson slipped between the Wanderers defence for winger Grace Christoffel to breach the box deep on the baseline. After beating a defender her shot took a deflection off the keeper but stayed on target spinning agonisingly slowly across the goal line for her first goal for the club.

The final goal of the game was scored by Jorja Keating a little over 10 minutes later when she found herself in the right place at the right time to put the Honeybears at 4-0 for the final whistle.

It was a determined performance from the ladies in their first game of the Premier division.

Following on from the trend they set last weekend, the Bears stepped onto the field and immediately started dominating possession. Pinning the West Wanderers boys down in their own half it took only 7 minutes for Nick Guymer to find the back of the net. Just 2 minutes later the Bears were on the scoreboard again with Federico Weimann scoring his second goal in as many games.

The Bears seemed to have the upper hand until a defensive slip by centre-backs Jordan McCallagh and Jonty Calleja allowed the Wanderers attack to split the defensive line capitalising on what would turn out to be their only decent opportunity in the match.

Not happy to loosen up on their lead the Bears kept on the press and at the 19th minute, George Freeman got his first goal of the season and ensured the Bears took the lead into the drinks break 3-1.

The score remained the same until halftime and well into the second half with Chinchilla midfielders Tomas Montoto and Facundo Villanueva controlling the centre of the park, cutting outplay and creating opportunity after opportunity for the Bears forwards.

The constant pressure had Wanderers frustrated and it soon the Referee was issuing free kicks and cautions in an attempt to settle the game down.

The final goal of the game came from Ben Michaelis, when the outside fullback overlapped Freeman down the left wing, weaving his way through challenge after challenge to comfortably drive the ball into the net.

A great game from the Bears to cap off a fantastic day of soccer for our club with 3 wins and all 3 of the divisions.


Recent Posts

See All